Dr. Ilene Serlin
Mind/Body/Spirit Therapy for the Whole Person
Dr. Ilene Serlin is a clinical psychologist and registered dance/movement therapist. She is the founder and Director of Union Street Health Associates and the Arts Medicine Program at California Pacific Medical Center. She is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association, Past President and Council Representative of the Division of Humanistic Psychology of the American Psychological Association, on the Editorial Boards of the Arts in Psychotherapy, the American Journal of Dance Therapy, and the Journal of Humanistic Psychology, and has taught and published widely in the US and abroad.
Dr. Serlin’s approach draws on her extensive background of training and experience in dance and the arts, Gestalt and depth psychotherapy, and behavioral medicine. She has been dancing for 40 years and trained in Labanotation with Irmgard Bartenieff. She studied and taught with Laura Perls at the New York Gestalt Institute, did her pre-doctoral internship at the Children’s Clinic of the C.G. Jung Institute of Los Angeles, and taught at UCLA, Lesley University, Saybrook University, and the California School of Professional Psychology.
Dr. Serlin’s honors include the following:
- Past Presidency of the San Francisco Psychological Association (SFPA)
- Outstanding Accomplishment Award of the SFPA
- Fellow of the American Psychological Association (APA)
- Rollo May Award from the Society for Humanistic Psychology of the APA
- San Francisco Mayor’s Proclamation of Ilene Serlin Day, September 22, 2018
and membership on the Editorial Boards of
- The Humanistic Psychologist, the peer-reviewed journal for the Division of Humanistic Psychology of the APA
- Arts & Health: An International Journal of Research, Policy and Practice
- The Journal of Applied Arts and Health
- PsycCRITIQUES, the review of contemporary books and films of the APA
- The American Journal of Dance Therapy, a peer-reviewed journal
- The Journal of Humanistic Psychology
For more information about Dr. Serlin, see her Curriculum Vitae.
Video highlights of Dr. Serlin’s keynote address at the Poetics of Aging conference in San Francisco, November 2011
Dr. Ilene Serlin • www.ileneserlin.com • Offices in San Francisco and Marin County • 415.931.3819